Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Before the Latest Storm

Mackerel Cove, 11x14, oil on canvas


The image above does not represent a finished painting. In the autumn I spent time, of course , in Jamestown (RI) painting at my usual "haunts" and Mackerel Cove, which is the Town Beach for Conanicut Island, is one of them. I was particularly intrigued by the late afternoon light, contre jour, and quickly laid in the scene before me. It is indeed a challenge to finish such a painting without losing the freshness of the scene.


Incidentally, as I write this post, we Rhode Islanders are preparing for a "Noreaster" which is expected to dump nearly a foot of snow here tomorrow. So tomorrow would be a good time to revisit these "unfinished" pieces. Perhaps the day after tomorrow -- if not too cold for this painter's fingers-- will allow some plein air work!


Images of my own paintings which I post to this sight are available for sale. Contact me directly through chakra4us@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment