Friday, February 15, 2013

More Winter Work

  In January I had visited the North Kingstown Library which has stunning views of Wickford as seen from the lower level of the building.  Looking out one of these windows I could see an old familiar rock, a favorite of many waterfowl, and, beyond the rock, the buildings of Wickford.  I couldn't resist taking out my small set of "traveling" pastels and jotting down the colorful scene before me.  The sun was offering frontal light in the late afternoon, a time which on a sunny day offers more mellow tones.  When I reached home I quickly sketched the scene in oils:

Wickford, From the Back, Oil on Canvas, 11x14     








 
  The scene was an especially charming one due to a recent snowfall.
 
  But after the most recent snowfall -- what has become known as the Blizzard of 2013-- I drove to Goddard Park which has a collection of old trees and sketched this one directly:
Late Morning Trees (Goddard Park), Oil on Linen, 9x12    

                               I put a frame on the sketch and it is now part of a show of my recent works hanging at the East Greenwich Free Library on Peirce Street, East Greenwich.

         Part of  "Winter Work" is going over old paintings, correcting them, perhaps heightening their effects in color and tone, making them more stimulating to look at.  Winter work also includes going over some photos I had taken over the last year or so.  I found one of my favorite spot, Beavertail, and worked the theme, which includes the Lighthouse in the Impressionist manner here:

Beavertail Light, Oil on Linen, 9x12         



       
         But such a painting is a rare occurrence for me since I love to work en plein air!

        Winter work will continue on Saturday, 2 to 4 PM, when I perform a Portrait Demo at Galeria United at 200 Main Street in Pawtucket.  Please come by and enjoy the fun!  Galeria United also displays several of my seascape paintings.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment