Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Plein Air Productions

The image on the left , an 11x14 oil sketch, was done at Pt.Judith toward the end of day.  I found a wonderful perch , a circular concrete base for an old gun emplacement, where I could face the fishermen on the rocks across the way and paint/study fairly undisturbed -- until some youngsters came along to toss some of the rocks into the sea.  Such a spot is almost too good to be true for a plain-air outing.  The Point is usually breezy, so no worries about being bitten by pesky flying insects, and the hottest day can be pleasant here.  Since I was able to accomplish much uninterruptedly, very little, in my opinion, is necessary for "finishing".

The next image , a blurred one I'm sorry to say, is of an old fishing boat, Artemis II which I sketched in Wellfleet on Cape Cod.  It was a beautiful day with a mellow sun late in the afternoon.  The whole charm of the scene had to do with low tide which had the vessel pitched forward, her screw out of the water aft.  Of course, with the changing tide, by the time I left, the boat was afloat by the dock.  Plein air work is indeed a combination of observation, imagination, and memory work!
  
  Artemis II seemed to me more picturesque than seaworthy -- but that was its lure to this artist.  I think to help the composition, studio assistance might include some other boats in the harbor .






These last two images are oil sketches of scenes within one or two miles from my present studio in East Greenwich, RI.  The top is a view of the harbor in East Greenwich just as the sun is close to retiring for the day and the other image is the most recent sketch of one of my favorite local subjects , the Green Boat.  Again both of these remain as sketches until more thinking about them is accomplished -- before any "improvements" are made!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment