Friday, August 28, 2009

Thoughts of a Painter

Welcome to my blog! I am Tom Martino , an oil painter who loves the coast of New England. My paintings have been described as a unique blend of tonalism with impressionism. But scholarly terms aside, it is my belief that a painting is successful if it communicates the soul-impressions of the artist in a poetic way. "Soul impression" could be interpreted as the feelings and sensitivity of the artist during the time of painting. The feelings of the artist, of course, could range from the base to the sublime, and it is the successful communication of the sublime that fixes a masterpiece. The subject of the painting, like the subject of a poem, is merely the vehicle for this communication. Here, I hope to share with you my most recent work and musings. Please be patient as I enter this newly-drawn bathwater!

No comments:

Post a Comment